Here are some great tips to avoid being scammed, they may seem like common sense, but sometimes it helps to be reminded:
- Always check out callers/Emails, especially cold callers who claim to be Microsoft, your telephone provider, Bank or internet service provider.
- Legitimate organisations will encourage you to call back via a number you've obtained from a trustworthy source.
- Do not assume that the number displayed on your phone/device is accurate, these can be spoofed, leading you to believe that the caller is in the UK or from a trusted organisation.
- Don't call phone numbers on pop-up messages which indicate there is a problem with your computer.
- Always try to use your browser box to search for your sites, rather than use a search engine, where you will find many bogus sites pretending to be well known companies/banks etc.
- always remember, if the offer is too good to be true-then it isn't!